The planning covers the 1,374,000 km2 of the Seychelles’ Exclusive Economic Zone and Territorial Sea. Planning in Phase 1 is being done at a coarse scale to address broad ecological, economic and social objectives all of Seychelles’ waters. Planning in Phase 2 will refine the marine plan and zoning design, especially within the Territorial Sea.
Planning is focused on the five key marine themes in Seychelles, as developed through stakeholder consultations:
- Fisheries (artisanal, semi-industrial, industrial, sport)
- Biodiversity conservation (habitats, species, ecological processes)
- Marine Infrastructure and Public Utilities (ports, renewable energy, maritime security)
- Non-renewable Resources (oil & gas, mining)
- Tourism and Recreation (marine charter operators)